This recipe is a version of one that has always been made in my house, although at home it was made with broad beans. But with these very tender peas that we have now, it is also very good. The flavour of artichokes and peas with spring onion, a little garlic and a little mint makes a spectacular and very spring-like combination.
Artichokes and peas are typical Mediterranean vegetables with many nutritional properties that are important for the well-being of our bodies. They are extremely versatile vegetables that lend themselves well to a variety of recipes. However, when cooked together they give an intense, sweet flavour to every dish. They are excellent as a side dish but, above all, suitable for dressing pasta dishes such as fusilli or tagliatelle.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15-20 mins
100g pasta of your choice
125g frozen peas, defrosted
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 spring onions, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
4 marinated artichoke hearts, drained and thickly sliced
2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1⁄2 lemon; grated rind and juice
extra rind to garnish
salt and black pepper
1. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions until al dente, adding the peas to the pan 3 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Drain thoroughly.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the spring onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until softened.
3. Stir in the pasta and peas with the artichokes, mint and remaining oil.
4. Toss well, season with salt and pepper, then leave to stand for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the lemon rind and juice and serve the salad warm, garnished with lemon rind.