No disrespect to anyone who suffers from colour blindness but as far as colour goes, this healthy dish is bursting with it. This is a very healthy salsa dish which will give your day a real boost. The red jalapeños really give the kick here but the sweetcorn and cherry tomatoes balance the flavour.
The preparation for the salsa is super quick and easy and it is interesting to know that a meal with so few ingredients can be so satisfying.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
2 boneless chicken breasts, halved
4 tbsp plus 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp plus 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
175g canned sweetcorn, drained
1 tsp finely chopped green jalpeño chillies (ribs and seeds removed if desired)
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
80g canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 limes, juice only
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 firm, ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
sea and freshly ground black pepper
115g rocket leaves
1. Combine chicken with 2 tablespoons each of oil and lemon juice in a shallow baking dish. Cover and marinate for one hour.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet or large frying pan. Add the corn, red jalpeño chillies and ginger; cook, stirring frequently until softened.
3. Heat a large frying pan to medium and add the marinated chicken, along with the oil and juice marinate. Fry until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from heat.
4. Stir together black beans, red onion, corn, lime juice and 1 tablespoon oil. Add cherry tomatoes, avocados and 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste); season with black pepper and stir gently to combine.
5. Toss the rocket leaves with remaining 2 teaspoons each oil and lemon juice. Divide evenly between plates and top with chicken and avocado corn salsa.