Cook Time: 1 hr
250 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
1/4 tsp saffron threads
155 g icing sugar
250 g self-raising flour
250 g ground almonds
125 g unsalted butter
icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease a 22cm/9 inch round cake tin.
2. Combine the juice, zest and saffron threads in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Leave to cool.
3. Beat the eggs and icing sugar with whisk or electric beaters until creamy. Sift the flour and carefully fold into the egg and sugar mix adding the almonds, orange saffron and butter until the mix is smooth.
4. Spoon the mixture into the lightly greased tin and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center of the baked cake.
5. Leave to cool for at least 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool. Once cool, dust with icing sugar.