I used to associate legumes with hours of preparation because of its soaking time and cooking time. But if we use canned vegetables it won't take more than half an hour to prepare and cook this. Today I bring you a combination of pumpkin, spinach and chickpeas which truly is a heartwarming vegetable stew that is much appreciated with the climate change.
Prep Time:10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
800ml vegetable stock
400g chopped tomatoes
1 small pumpkin, diced
300g chickpeas, drained
300g baby spinach
50g walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook over a medium heat for 5 mins until the onion has softened, making sure the garlic doesn't get burned.
2. After a few minutes, add the can of tomatoes and gently fry off all the juices.
3. Add the diced pumpkin along with the vegetable stock. Let all of the ingredients simmer away until the pumpkin is tender.
4. Add the drained chickpeas and just before serving, add the bag of baby spinach. Let the spinach wilt for a minute or two and then season to taste.
5. Scatter some chopped walnuts on top of each serving.