I have the most wonderful sublime delicatessen near my home where I constantly hunt for new ingredients to experiment with. Consequently, I have tried sun-dried mixed vegetables as well as the more popular sun-dried tomatoes. Whichever kind you can get your hands on will work incredibly well in this super simple recipe, which has a half Italian, half Chinese flavour.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
100g sun-dried tomatoes
350g fresh small leaf spinach, stalks removed
2 tbsp virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large pinch of nutmeg
2 tbsp coarsely chopped hazelnuts
1. Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and barely cover with boiling water. Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes. If using jarred sun-dried vegetables, this will not be necessary as they are marinated in oil.
2. Thoroughly wash the spinach and dry on kitchen paper.
3. Drain the soaked tomatoes, if following instruction in step one, retain the liquid and slice the sun-dried tomatoes thinly.
4. Heat the virgin olive oil in a non-stick deep frying pan and fry the garlic until softened.
5. Add spinach and sun-dried tomatoes and stir fry for one minute or so.
6. Add the seasoning, nutmeg and hazelnuts and a little of the liquid from the softened sun-dried tomatoes.
7. Bring to the boil and serve immediately with goats cheese, if desired.