Don't be daunted with a large number of ingredients that make up this flavoursome, aromatic broth.
It is worth the trip to find each of the ingredients that make up this soup which is of colour and flavour, that will be a delight to vegetarians and food lovers alike.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
125g tofu, broken into large chunks
2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1-inch root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 lemongrass stalk, peeled, trimmed and chopped
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tbsp tamarind sauce
3 tbsp vegetable oil
250g plum tomatoes, chopped
500ml vegetable stock
400ml coconut milk
250g oyster mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp light soy sauce
200g medium egg noodles
chopped spring onions, red chillies, mint leaves to garnish
1. To prepare the tofu, drain and remove it from the packet and reak into small chunks.
2. Place the chillies, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, coriander, tamarind sauce and oil in a blender and whiz to form a paste.
3. Fry the paste until it becomes aromatic. Meantime, boil a pot of water an cook the noodles as per packet instructions.
4. Add the tomatoes and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until thick and spicy.
5. Add the stock and coconut milk and bring to the boil.
6. Add the tofu, oyster mushrooms and soy sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Drain the noodles and divide them between 4 bowls.
8. Divide the broth between the four bowls and garnish with the chopped spring onions, red chillies and mint leaves.