Chinese stir-fry dishes are easy to prepare and cook. If you like a variation on taste, it's great knowing that most meat and vegetable combinations work well together.
500g beef tenderloin, sliced into strips
1 bunch asparagus,
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons root ginger, minced
3 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
5 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp sesame oil
freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the salt, freshly ground black pepper, sesame oil and 2 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine in a bowl and marinate the beef tenderloin for at least 15 minutes. Marinating overnight in the fridge will make it more flavoursome.
2. Heat the oil in a wok or heavy-based frying pan and stir fry the beef in high heat in batches for 2-3 minutes. Remove the beef from the wok and set aside.
3. Add the oil and stir-fry the ginger and onion until soft.
4. With the asparagus, break at the spot where it becomes hard and discard. Cut the asparagus into short pieces and stir fry for a minute.
5. Add the beef with soy sauce, oyster sauce and Chinese cooking wine. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
6. Serve immediately with freshly cooked basmati or jasmine rice.