I love having the occasional Monday free to do the things I really love in life. Even though I didn't use the day as productively as I could have, I did dedicate 40 minutes in the kitchen this afternoon to prepare this colourful plate of beautiful flavours. Now, what to do with all of this extra free time...
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
pinch cayenne pepper
400g tin chopped tomatoes
500g cod, cut into chunks
2 tsp honey
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh coriander, chopped
1. Heat olive oil in heavy based pan over medium heat. Add sliced onion and cook for five minutes until onion has softened.
2. Add crushed garlic, ground cumin, turmeric and cinnamon stick and cook for two minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add cayenne papper, chopped tomatoes, salt and 250ml water and cook for ten minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add the cod and simmer for five minutes until fish is cooked through.
5. Add chickpeas and honey and continue to cook for a futher 2-3 minutes.
6. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Remove the cinnamon stick and garnish with chopped coriander and sprinkle with flaked almonds.