Guinness is certainly an acquired taste. The stout flavor is shadowed by the quantity of sugar, there is still a gentle lift from "the black stuff" which flutters like a butterfly in the background. Oh, and the cream cheese icing adds to the presentation effect. Sláinte.
Prep Time: 20-30 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
For the Guinness Cake
250 ml Guinness250 g unsalted butter
75 g cocoa powder
400 g caster sugar
140 ml sour cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
275 g self-raising flour
For the topping
300 g cream cheese
150 g icing sugar
125 ml double cream
Instructions for cake::
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Lightly grease a 23cm spring form tin.
2. Pour the Guinness into a large saucepan, add the butter in slices and heat until butter is melted.
3. Whisk in the cocoa powder and caster sugar.
4. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and the vanilla essence. Add to the Guinness, butter mix in the pan.
5. Pour the mix into the greased spring form tin and bake for 40 minutes.
6. Remove cake from oven and leave to cool completely. In the meentime you can prepare the icing.
Instructions for topping:
1. Whip cream cheese until smooth. Sieve over icing sugar and beat together.
2. Add the double cream and beat again until it forms a smooth spreadable consistency.
3. Spread evenly over top of Guiness chocolate cake.