I love veggie burgers but find most of the store bought ones pretty horrible. For some reason, it had never even entered my head to make my own tofu burgers. On it´s own, tofu doesn't have a lot of flavor. You can flavor tofu burgers with any herbs you like - coriander, basil, oregano...
Go on, try making these and you will be surprised at how versatile and satisfying they are.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
200 g mushrooms,finely chopped
350 g firm tofu
2-3 garlic cloves
3 tbsp coriander leaves
200 g breadcrumbs
1 tbsp tomato pureé
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
150 g fresh breadcrumbs
6 burger baps
60 g spinach leaves
1. In a pan, heat the olive oil and sautée the onions until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the cooker and leave to cool for a few moments.
2. In a food processor, add 250 g of the tofu with the chopped garlic. Chop and add the fresh coriander leaves. Blend until smooth.
3. Transfer the mix to a bowl and stir in the onion and mushroom mixture. Add the breadcrumbs, tomato pureé, vinegar and sweet chilli sauce. Grate the remaining tofu and add it to the mixture.
4. Mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Divide this mixture into 6 patties. Press together well and coat them with extra breadcrumbs.
6. Add oil to a frying pan and fry the patties until golden, being careful when turning them over as they may break.
7. Toast the burger baps and spread some mayonnaise on one side of each roll.
8. Place one tofu burger on each bap, followed by the spinach leaves and a dollop of mayonnaise.