Don´t be daunted with the large number of ingredients that make up this flavorsome, aromatic broth.
It is worth the trip to find each of the ingredients that make up this soup which is of color and flavor, that will be a delight to vegetarians and food lovers alike.
125g tofu, broken into large chunks
2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 inch root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 lemongrass stalk, peeled, trimmed and chopped
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tbsp tamarind sauce
3 tbsp vegetable oil
250 g plum tomatoes, chopped
500 ml vegetable stock
400 ml coconut milk
250 g oyster mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp light soy sauce
200 g medium egg noodles
chopped spring onions, red chillies, mint leaves to garnish
1. To prepare the tofu, drain and remove it from the packet and reak into small chunks.
2. Place the chillies, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, coriander, tamarind sauce
and oil in a blender and whiz to form a paste.
3. Fry the paste until it becomes aromatic. Meantime, boil a pot of water an cook the noodles as per packet instructions.
4. Add the tomatoes and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until thick and spicy.
5. Add the stock and coconut milk and bring to the boil.
6. Add the tofu, oyster mushrooms and soy sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Drain the noodles and divide them between 4 bowls.
8. Divide the broth between the four bowls and garnish with the chopped spring onions, red chillies and mint leaves.